Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 5: Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout -> Mt. Sunapee -> Tippicanoe Campground

I got up earlier than usual and force fed myself peanut butter Cliff bar. The thing is that I got tired of all the trail food and I started to feel like having some "real" food. I did not want to cook another oatmeal. I rolled up the camp (I had a tent inside of the shelter because of black flies that were relentless and did not seem to care about DEET the night before), and I drank a lot of water as I seemed to be pretty dehydrated. Leaving the camp I stopped by the stream and sterilized more water as I wasn't sure if I would get anything on Sunapee Ridge before hitting Lake Solitude. 

Pre-filtering water for treatment with SteriPen

This was a good call as there wasn't any good flowing streams as I started the climb.  Lucia's Lookout offered a nice wide view. 

Wide view from Lucia's Lookout

Later on there was a smaller lookout from which I could get a glimpse of what I thought were "the Ledges." 


After the hike I began to wonder if maybe "the Ledges" was actually a name for steep wall over Lake Solitude?  I think a mile later I got to a point where a red blazed trail was departing to the East with a sign saying "View" painted on the rock. I followed it and in a short distance found myself on top of "the Ledges"  with great view to the East.  The red trail continued further apparently to Mountain Road.  

This way to a view

Back to MSG I was on my favorite section of the trail going over granite rock with sub-alpine vegetation.  

Yet more lichen

I also saw some evidence of moose presence in the area. 

Moose nuggets

Eventually the trail descended to Lake Solitude.  

Lake Solitude seen from MSG

For the first time in days I heard human voices while on the trail (I don't count going through towns) yet I could not see anyone walking alongside Lake Solitude.  The mystery resolved itself when I started going up again and noticed a side trail to a lookout.  The view of Lake Solitude from the top was amazing and there it was a family sitting on rocky ledges and enjoying the view.

Lake Solitude seen from lookout above

 It was less than a mile from there to Mt. Sunapee with the final section of the trail following summit lodge road.  

Lake Sunapee from summit lodge road / ski slope

I was a bit confused as to where the top of Mt. Sunapee was since I couldn't find a USGS benchmark but I suspect it is right under a platform next to the summit lodge.  The last trail marker was pointing in that direction as well. 

Last MSG trail marker I was able to find

I took a celebratory picture on the platform and sat down on a nearby rock. 

I made it!

I pulled out my copy of the trail guide and checked that the trail ends at the summit lodge.
  Content that I didn't miss the finish line I began descending on Goshen Trail which is just a woods road sparingly blazed with blue markers. I was thinking to myself that I saw lots of coyote tracks, several moose hoof prints and moose "nuggets" but I did not see any bear tracks.  Then less than a mile from the trail end I spotted a bear paw print in a dried up puddle.  

At least one bear was here!

I guess this made my hike really complete! :-) According to the trail guide there is parking at Goshen trail head, however, the bridge on trail access road is rotten / partially collapsed so I doubt any car can currently drive over it.  Once on Brook Road it was less than 1/3 mile walk to the campground.  My car was perfectly fine and I got a tent site for the night, so that I wouldn't have to drive back home tired.

Finally, I would like to thank all MSG trail maintainers who contribute countless hours to make our hiking experience better!

Really great adventure!

Comments

  1. Great report! I've been eyeing this trail for a few years now but have not gotten out to it yet. I hope to do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your hike and let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 2: Spiltoir Shelter -> Crider Forest Shelter

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway