Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 4: George Washington Shelter -> Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout

I got up at 5 am and left just after 6 am to Washington General Store. I had a nice breakfast & coffee and I set out before 7 am.  The trail was going through the town at first and at some point I noticed plastic piping spread between trees.  At first I wondered if this was some kind of fencing but ten I realized that these were maple trees and the pipes were going into the trunks, so I guessed that this is a modern way to collect maple syrup.

Maple syrup collection?

Who is watching you?

Once I left town I turned on a woods road going up Lovewell Mountain. I noticed lots of coyote paw prints along the road and further on the trail as well.  I also saw what I believe was coyote scat. I was a little surprised that over first few days I saw only one garter snake, but now I saw three on the way up to the top.

One of several garter snakes I saw going up Lovewell Mountain

Snow in June? Oh, wait! Is just a lichen patch...

There was a nice view to the East just before Lovewell Mountain. 

Lookout near top of Lovewell Mountain

The source that was marked on the map and had a trail sign pointing to it was not flowing. I still had water from town, so I did not care. I found a geocache at the top and moved on, only stopping by Max Israel Shelter for a snack.  

Max Israel Shelter

It was downhill from there and after crossing the road I began ascending Kittredge Hill.  According to the map the water source at Steve Galpin Shelter were seasonal, so I decided to fill up at a stream coming out of a bog. It was flowing fast but the water had yellowish/reddish color to it.

Water had yellowish/reddish tint to it

After crossing the stream it was just an ascent and hike up through extremely quiet woods. At one point I came across a pile of quills and I was really puzzled as to what happened -did something attack a porcupine?

Porcupine quills right on the trail

I also saw what I think was coyote scat - rich in animal hair.

Coyote scat?


Recharging batteries :)

Entrenched in my own thoughts I reached Steve Galpin Shelter and there was no one there. I settled down and ate dinner.  

Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout

I then went to check out a stream north of the shelter and the water was cold & clear. I dumped out the water I already had and sterilized 3 liters of fresh water.  I was a bit skeptical of notes prior hikers were leaving in trail register at the shelter complaining about bugs as I didn't see them yet, however, black flies struck me with force here and I had to pull out my head net for the first time. Since no one else came I decided to pitch a tent inside the shelter to survive the bugs overnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 5: Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout -> Mt. Sunapee -> Tippicanoe Campground

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 2: Spiltoir Shelter -> Crider Forest Shelter

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway