Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 3: Crider Forest Shelter -> George Washington Shelter

I got up early as I realized that this day I would have to make most miles during the entire hike.  It still took me a while to roll up everything and I finally let just shy of 7 am.  I did a little bit of laundry along the way as my T-shirt began smelling pretty bad.  A bit later I came to Robinson Brook Cascades.

Robinson Brook Cascades

I got to Pitcher Mountain around 10 am.  There were no cars at the parking lot and I figured there would be nobody at the top.  Indeed I got all the view to myself. 

Mt. Monadnock as seen from Pitcher Mountain

As I was descending I saw more coyote tracks. I continued on the trail until it entered forest service road where I ran into elderly couple who were trying to follow the road to the end but turned back as they weren't sure how far it would continue.  I didn't know myself until later when I reached Hubbard Hill where the road ended.  Hubbard Hill is entirely covered in blueberry bushes - it must be the blueberry capital of New Hampshire!  I guess it would be nice to come here in July when they are ripe.  

Blueberries at Hubbard Hill

Continuing north, I stopped by Fox Brook Campsite.  

Fox Brook Campsite

I consulted my super map there and this was the last time I saw it.  I'm not sure if I left it there or dropped it later, but I hope it serves well whomever finds this map.  I later got another copy at Washington General Store. Next I got to the top of Jackson Hill. There are quite expansive views from that hill in pretty much all directions.

Views from Jackson Hill
 
Coming to an intersection with Blue Trail I found a note about logging work being done along the original trail that incidentally fixed the flooding problem.  


Hence, I decided to try following the trail and made it through just fine. There was no logging work being done that day.  Once I got on King Street I realized that I could be running low on water but I decided to wait till the base of Oak Hill as the stream under King St didn't look good.  

Lempster Mountain as seen from Oak Hill

The stream at the base of Oak Hill was flowing fine and I picked up a liter of water knowing that I would make it to town before the store would close for the day. Indeed I made it and I got myself a tasty sandwich with coke.  I also bought a replacement map & ice cream.  On the way back to George Washington shelter a lady offered me use of her garden hose for water - it was so nice to get clean drinking water again!  Having eaten at the store I didn't need to cook and it was so much easier to get ready for sleep!

George Washington Shelter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 5: Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout -> Mt. Sunapee -> Tippicanoe Campground

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 2: Spiltoir Shelter -> Crider Forest Shelter

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway