Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 2: Spiltoir Shelter -> Crider Forest Shelter

The two hikers that were staying at Spiltoir Shelter overnight left early, and I followed not long afterwards. Somehow I miscalculated the distance for this section by 2 miles or so. Since my pack was somewhat heavy I had been wondering to myself if maybe I were too old for this stuff, but then again I seem to go through a "crisis" like this on every backpacking trip! :)

Waterfalls at Eliza Adams Gorge

Short distance from Spiltoir Shelter I arrived at Eliza Adams Gorge which was pretty nice. I refilled my water bottles there, albeit the water had a reddish tint to it.

Bridge at Eliza Adams Gorge

After that there was a mixture of woods & road walking until I decided to eat early lunch at picturesque Childs Bog.

Childs Bog Dam

There were more woods & quite a bit of road hike to Nelson Center with a nice town center.

Library at Nelson Center

From there it was just more secluded woods all the way to Crider Forest Shelter where I arrived around 5 pm.



Crider Forest Shelter

I had just enough time to make food, prepare water, hang bear bag and write some notes.

My bear bag hanging off a tree

While going to get water I noticed fresh coyote tracks pretty close to the shelter. It made me feel a little eerie staying at the shelter alone with no phone service.

I believe these were fresh coyote paw prints

The evening was very quite with only birds singing & frogs calling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway 5: Steve Galpin Shelter at Moose Lookout -> Mt. Sunapee -> Tippicanoe Campground

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway